Monday, July 18, 2005

The Games We Play

My grandparents have just moved out of their home and into a nursing home. My grandpa just went through surgery for cancer and they've found out he has leukemia. This will be a rough summer for my family. I just went to see him and I know we said our last good bye's in this world. While we were visiting and playing cards, I was struck how the games we play in our lives mark different stages. I look at other members of my family and I can see how symbolic: there are those who play for fun, those who play to win, and losers who find ways to take advantage of others weaknesses. I've learned a lot about human nature this weekend.

Dying is a when, not an if. If you're gonna play, play fair, play for fun - the game is only as fun as the people you're with. Choose wisely. Choose the people you surround yourself with.

I'm overwhelmed with responsbilities right now. I'm exhausted and have to keep reminding myself: lift foot, place in front of body, transfer weight to foot in front, repeat with other foot, inhale, exhale, sigh, repeat and roll the dice again...

3 Comments:

Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

****HUG****

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 12:19:00 p.m.  
Blogger Samantha said...

Thanks guys :)

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 2:07:00 p.m.  
Blogger DrinkJack said...

May a little sunshine fall upon you. If you ever need to talk, you know my number. I will always be there for you. Take care.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:05:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home