Saturday, October 29, 2005

Human Nature

I had a great time last night - good friends, good food, good drinks... Started the evening off with a couple of beer and a delicious steak sandwhich. (Mmmmm... Alberta beef folks, can't beat it.) It was so relaxing just to kick back, bullshit a little, and dowload on life's issues.

Then we went out to a local dance bar. We had never gotten there that early (before 10pm). Again, it was quiet, we could talk and watch people slowly coming in. There were some people who were dressed up for Halloween and they made my night! They were so hilarious. I just found it so interesting to watch how a costume gave them a license to be so "out" there; some people use costumes and others used drinks. I wasn't in the "pick up" headspace, so I found I was constantly analyzing everything that was going on.

There was the girl who thought she was all that: she must have taken a couple of dance classes as a child and maybe a pole dancing class as an "adult"; was probably told she was real pretty and cute as a child and thinks she's too hot for her britches now. After a few jugs of whatever red slosh she was drinking, she was falling on the dance floor in her slippery spilled mess after she was trying moves too raunchy for words. She had the habit of making fun of the men she was dancing with whenever they turned their heads - I guess that's what really got me. Puh-leeze. She tried coming over to where we were sitting to talk to us. She got my one-eye-brow-raised look of "don't even think it honey"...

A highlight of the evening was the dance I had with one guy without ever making it to the dance floor together. It was a series of glances, looks, flirtatious smiles... he reminded me of one of my "old flames". He had that same look of mischief and untold opportunities I've seen before ;) ... When we were both on the dance floor (with different people), we somehow managed to "bump" into each other without ever making eye contact - this was in part due to respect of our dance partners and (on my part anyways) for fear of what would happen if we did... I wasn't in the mood to pursue anything, but feeling those sparks sure was fun.

You know, when I go out, I go to hang out, get a good buzz, dance, and to laugh. Getting hit on is part of the bar scene. I'll talk to just about anyone as long as they are being respectful. I must be getting older or more "grown-up". After looking around, considering the options, I'm realizing more and more, that I am choosing, consciously or sub-consciously, to be single. This realization helps me to find peace, and perhaps a little comfort, when I see a couple that is so obviously in love that the energy around them is somehow so much brighter while I still seem to be in love's shadows.

Patience is a virtue I remind that impetuous little girl inside me who stomps her feet and tends to pout...

3 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Don't ya just love those random sparks? Such a little "gift".

Patience is a hard word, and a hard thing to learn. I hate it myself.

Wanna come over and bitch about it over wine?

Sunday, October 30, 2005 9:24:00 a.m.  
Blogger DrinkJack said...

I bet when sparks fly, they are to the heavens. Demand the best, you deserve that :)

Sunday, October 30, 2005 9:48:00 a.m.  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

I went to a local bar this weekend and had a woman who thought she was all that doing the same thing. Until my friend Pattie shut her down with one comment.

Monday, October 31, 2005 12:32:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home