Saturday, January 07, 2006

Just a thought...

As if I haven't had enough on my plate for the last little while, I have a 2am brainwave that I'm going to be a first aid instructor... maybe, it's just a thought. I used to be a lifeguard and an examiner for lifeguarding courses. I taught CPR and first aid as part of my instructing, I also taught canoeing and aquasize. I miss that scene a little bit. I've had to do plenty of first aid in my lifetime; I've called 911 at least 14 times for one reason or another.

I also did CPR on a man 14 years ago next week. That changed me the most. I had just walked out of a CPR recertification class and came across him, laying on the sidewalk, with about 35 people all standing around doing nothing. His 12 year old daughter was in a panic state, no one had called for an ambulance. I got an older lady to take his daughter for a walk down the way a little bit. I remember him slipping away, doing rescue breathing, and then CPR. When the paramedics arrived, I continued doing the CPR, holding the lines, and the whole defib process. I was so calm and proficient, going through each step by step as I had memorized in my courses. I helped load him in the ambulance while one paramedic helped his daughter. When the ambulance drove away, I turned around and everyone was gone. There were so many people one second and they simply just vanished.

I immediately went to a friend's place on campus and completely broke down and went into shock. He took me to the hospital where I found out that he didn't make it. I was just devastated. I found out his name and phoned his family to give them my regards and to let them know I did everything possible. I swore that one day I would be a CPR or First Aid Instructor and make a point of teaching classes for free to people who couldn't afford them or whose families were at greater risk for the need to use it.

Maybe that time is now?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

there is no time like the present
i suppose that's the point though
the whole concept of first aid
the whole idea of keeping people in this world
teaching, something that may allow others the same chance to help someone else
a long and arduous process that could save someone's life
literally in your case
all in all...GO FOR IT!!!
and while you do that...
is shall take my advice and study
"hangs head in defeat"

Monday, January 09, 2006 4:52:00 a.m.  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

I hate it when people just stand and watch dumbfounded. I would let you rescue me.

*wink*

Monday, January 09, 2006 1:19:00 p.m.  
Blogger DrinkJack said...

Damn my friend. That is a tough first, but then again, that kind of first is always tough.

Saturday, January 14, 2006 5:23:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home