Friday, April 01, 2005

Skipping Stones

I'm taking a year off as a prankster and I've decided not to do any elaborate April Fool's jokes on anyone. Ho hum, maybe I'm just getting boring, maybe it's just too early in the day... he he he he.

I'm always people watching and I am eternally fascinated by what people do and the reasons why they do it. Yesterday, I was watching some kids throw rocks into the river - they were trying to skip the rocks. There was an older gentleman trying to teach them how to find the smooth circular rocks and how to spin the rock like a frisbee. In the kids' search for the perfect rock, they kept testing deeper and deeper along the river's edge. After a few of minutes, their feet were all wet - remember I live in Canada and this is glacial water we're talking about. Brrrr... What struck me was the fact that there was about 30 feet of "rock beach" that extended for miles, but these kids insisted on going into the water.

The saying that it's the journey, not the destination comes to mind. No doubt there were many perfect rocks that were quite literally under their feet. But to see these kids' face light up when they found a rock that was so far out and about 5 inches underwater...

I'm almost forced to question if I'm any different. I'm sure "perfection" is practically at my feet in one respect or another. I'm sure there are easier paths I could have taken in life. I'm sure there are clearly marked "forks in the road" which I could choose to follow in the future. But what about that one which seems just out of reach?

Maybe these nameless kids helped me to remember that it's the thrill of the experience, that elation in finding a little treasure where perhaps no one else could see it - that's life, that's living.

:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home