Friday, November 11, 2005

Lest we forget...

I've made it through another Remembrance Day. This day really hits me hard, I don't know if it's a collection of all of the cosmic grieving or what...
I lived in the "military world" for a while when I was married. Unless you've lived this kind of life, it is hard to appreciate the sacrifices one makes for country and for peace. I respect those who can leave their families and their homes when called upon for the sake of something greater than perhaps we can imagine. I think of Canadians' involvement in military efforts throughout the ages: the men and women who fought for my country, the ones who were laid to rest in foreign soil, the ones who came back who, in essence, lost their lives for seeing the images of war... the women and families who are left behind, who live in the trenches of fear and loneliness without their loved ones... the women who, especially from WWII, who entered a workforce previously closed off to them, doing the jobs men left vacant, and then to have these jobs and opportunities barricaded once again after the war... the Aboriginal warriors who led and who fought only to have their sovereignty taken away despite their service...

Personally, I grieve for my friends whose soul and spirit have tarnished with the attrocities they've witnessed, whose lives will remain in the shadow of the energy and courage they once embodied, who lost years to war and service in the matter of months they served overseas... to my skydiving buddy, we shared our first free fall together back in the days of the Airborne, he will never be able to walk again or feel the wind on his face at 5000 feet...

Fair winds and soft landings for each tear shed...

1 Comments:

Blogger DrinkJack said...

Well said. We should never forget.

Sunday, November 13, 2005 7:00:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home